b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/> Brad Cohen's Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me The Teacher I Never Had: Jimmy Wolk plays Brad Cohen as an adult in Front of the Class Movie

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jimmy Wolk plays Brad Cohen as an adult in Front of the Class Movie

It is an honor to introduce Jimmy Wolk, who will be playing the older Brad Cohen in the movie Front of the Class. Jimmy is a great actor. The reason I know this is because the last 25 year of my life I have been ticcing since I have Tourette Syndrome. I thought I had perfected my noises. But when I first arrived on the set and walked into the building, people thought I was Jimmy because they said we looked alike, then they said we made our noises the same. Then they realized that I was the "Real" Brad Cohen and the crew and staff on the set were amazed at how well Jimmy had my noises, tics, and mannerisms down. He had me down pat.


Not only was he a great actor, but Jimmy and I truly have a lot in common. It didn't take us long to bond as we got to know each other. (Actually he knew me pretty well since he has studied me for the past month) This is Jimmy's first real movie as a main character. His resume may be short, but as you walk around the set you hear people saying how this kids' got it. He's going places once the real world sees him. Not only is he a great actor but he also has a super duper personality.


At one point we were all eating lunch on set and one of the little children that was in my class started crying. She was homesick as she missed her little sister. Jimmy sprang out of his seat to give her a hug and then the little girl felt better. It reminded me a lot of me in the way Jimmy sprang into action and did what was best for the kids.


Jimmy and I discussed how Front of the Class is about how the underdog prevails when few believed in me. Like my story, Jimmy was the underdog for the part. They wanted some big names to play my part. But Jimmy beat them out and in some weird kind of way, it mirrors my story in that the directors gave Jimmy a chance and hopefully this will be his big break. He deserves it.


So enough about Jimmy, I mean me.......I'll be sharing more but in the meantime, know that I truly feel good about Jimmy playing me as an adult. He has studied his role very well and has practiced to perfect the tics. I see how difficult it is and he makes it look easy. I know America will love him and my friends and family will approve once they see the movie. Cheers