b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/> Brad Cohen's Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me The Teacher I Never Had: Brad Speaks to Cobb County School Nurses

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brad Speaks to Cobb County School Nurses

I was honored when I heard that Cobb County School Nurses wanted to learn more about Tourette Syndrome and how to help children with disabilities.

My goal during this presentation was to first, educate them about what Tourette Syndrome is.
Awareness must be the first step.

Second, I focused on my story, showing them that it is possible for someone with a disability to overcome the challenges that are placed in front of them.

Third, I wanted them to realize that all it take is for ONE person to believe in that child. So many times in the classroom, the teachers focus on the weaknesses of that child. It is my hope that nurses will help play a vital role in the life of a child with TS or any other disability because they can give them those positive experiences and words of encouragement that they may need.
I remember my middle school nurse allowing me to eat lunch in her room rather than eating in the cafeteria with the bullies of the school. She made a difference in my life, now I hope that nurses today can make a difference in some of their students lives.